Help For First Time Movers
Moving can be one of the most stressful events in a person’s life, especially when doing it for the first time. Atlas Canada wants to make sure you understand how to make the best decisions to reduce stress and get you on your way. Whether you choose to move by yourself or with the help of our team of professionals, here are some tips to get you started.
Moving can be a complicated process. It requires coordination, organization, and planning to ensure everything runs smoothly. Lucky for you, Atlas Canada is proud of the work we do, and has an experienced team of Moving Consultants, Van Operators, and Professional Packers across Canada to help every step of the way.
Once you know you’re going to move, consider making a detailed list of tasks that should be completed before your big day.
Some of these tasks might include:
- Gathering estimates, hiring movers, and deciding whether additional relocation services are required, such as professional packers to handle your items safely.
- If you are not hiring movers, gather packing supplies from local businesses, online, or social groups to make packing and unpacking easier.
- Remember to schedule shutoff dates for your home’s utilities and other services, such as cable TV and Internet, at your old home and prepare for them at your new one.
- Cleaning your home before moving out.
- If you rent your old home, set up a move-out date as well as a final inspection with your landlord.
- Have a route to your new home planned. This is especially important for long distance moves and gives you the opportunity to implement planned pit-stops for longer drives.
For more information on moving, visit our resources tab for more tips, checklists, and other useful information.
Plan your first few days in your new home:
Once your new home has been established, the next step in your moving process should be to plan to make the first few days as comfortable and manageable as possible. It is important to note that you may arrive before your items, as previously mentioned in our “Moving Process” blog post. For this reason, packing a bag for the first few days is an excellent way to stay organized.
Some of these items include:
- Clothes; for work or casual wear. You can never go wrong with spare changes of clothes.
- Medications, toiletries, towels and other regularly used items.
- Bedsheets for each occupied room
- Charging equipment for your phones, laptops, and tablets.
- Some disposable dishware including utensils, plates, and cups.
Find dependable movers and packers
Trustworthy movers and packers will make the moving process that much easier. Reach out to local companies with good, honest reviews and ensure their services are legitimate. The last thing you want is a rogue mover. Price is also an important factor, but the lowest price should not be the only thing you consider. Make sure to check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and the Canadian Associate of Movers (CAM) to ensure their reputation is in good standing. Watch our “How to Choose a Mover” video to find out more!